Your property: rates, valuations and fees

Council receives funds from numerous sources, including ratepayers, to provide services to the community and to improve buildings, roads, parks and other facilities.

Council Services

Rates payment

Click Here to pay OnlineClick here to Pay using Australia Post BillPay

Rates Payments can also be made using the following methods:

Bpay - Details are on your Rates Notice
In Person - WCC Offices 25 Liebig Street Warrnambool
By Phone - (03) 5559 4800
By Mail - PO Box 198, Warrnambool 3280

ezybill logo

You can choose to receive your rates notice electronically (via email) rather than through the post using ezybill.

Click Here to register to receive your rates notices via email

Are you experiencing financial hardship?

If payment of your account is causing difficulty we have options to help,

click here to find out more


Calculating your Rates

Property valuations are used as the basis for levying Council rates and therefore each property’s contribution to Council’s overall rate revenue is determined by its valuation.

Valuation base

The Warrnambool City Council uses Capital Improved Value (CIV) as its valuation base. CIV = the total market value of the land and any improvements (buildings etc) - for more information refer to the valuation of Land Act 1960.

How are general rates calculated?

The formula for calculating general rates, excluding any additional charges or arrears, is:

General Rates = Valuation x Rate In The Dollar.
(details of the council valuation of your property are displayed on your rate notice).

For Council the general rate calculation on a residential property valued at $500,000 and with a rate in the dollar of 0.00264 would be:

Capital Improved Value - $500,000
Rate In the Dollar (Residential) - 0.00264
$500,000 x 0.00264 = $1,320*

*This figure excludes the Waste Management Service Charge and the Municipal Charge.

Council has determined 2022-2023 Rates and Charges as part of the budget process for the forthcoming year. Your rate notice will show how your rates are calculated, and will include any other charges eg. waste management/municipal charge.

Special charges

Special rates or charges can be applied by Council to raise funds for a particular purpose or project, provided it meets certain legislative criteria.

Rating Information

Properties have been classified for rating purposes in accordance with Council’s adopted Differential Rating Statement (ie. residential, commercial, industrial, farm, urban farm, residential use or recreational).

Rates & Charges 2022 – 2023

Classification How rate  is applied Rate in the dollar value
Other land rates (includes residential)
Cents in $ of CIV
Farm land rates Cents in $ of CIV 0.00175
Commercial land rates Cents in $ of CIV 0.006162
Industrial land rates Cents in $ of CIV 0.005451
Vacant land rates (residential, commercial and industrial) Cents in $ of CIV 0.004824 
Recreational land Cat 1 $ per property $22,625.56
Recreational land Cat 2 Cents in $ of CIV 0.002666
Municipal charge $ per property $286.21
Waste management charge $ per property $412.58

The Waste Management Charge is for Council's waste management operations and is levied on every improved property within the municipality. It covers domestic household rubbish collection where available, emptying public rubbish bins, public parks and gardens, street sweeping of City Centre and residential areas, cartage of rubbish to Naroghid and operations of Council's recycling program.


Short Stay Accommodation

Property owners who make their properties available for short stay accommodation through platforms including, but not limited to, AirBnB, are required to pay a $400 fee as described in the Short Stay Accommodation Local Law.

The fee was introduced in February 2023 to address inequalities between existing, registered accommodation providers such as hotels and motels, which pay commercial rates, and non-registered accommodation, such as AirBnBs. The fee will go towards services, events, infrastructure and natural assets that support the local visitor economy.

Along with the fee Council adopted a Short Stay Accommodation Code of Conduct Local Law which governs the behaviour of guests at short stay accommodation. The code describes the responsibilities of hosts and guests when staying in short stay accommodation. 

Each short stay property owner must nominate a "designated person" (this person could also be the owner). The designated person must be able to respond within two hours to any inquiries made in relation to the property.

Council has provided the following documents to help short stay accommodation owners/operators comply with the Short Stay Accommodation Local Law and Code of Conduct. 

Fact sheet for short stay accommodation owners.

A fact sheet for neighbours of short stay accommodation properties.

Code of Conduct template to display in a short stay accommodation property.

Short stay accommodation designated contact person and letter for neighbours template.

To register your short stay property, nominate a designated person and pay the $400 fee click here.






Why are valuations important?

It provides a new market value for your property – these property valuation are now far more relevant and useful as they more closely reflect current market values. There are new market relativities – this is important because market changes help determine individual property rates and charges. (The new valuation of a property is compared with the new valuations of all the other properties).

Valuation process

The Valuer-General Victoria introduced standard property data requirements for councils, under the initiative known as Valuation Best Practice.

Only qualified valuers – professionals holding recognised tertiary qualifications and with the required practical experience – can perform municipal valuations. They are required to operate under the highest standards of professionalism and ethics – for example, all valuers must declare impartiality before undertaking valuations and undertake to perform all valuations to the best of their ability and judgement.

Valuing a property

Data obtained for each property is determined under Valuation Best Practice guidelines and includes things such as:

  • Land area.
  • Building size.
  • Building condition.
  • Construction material.
  • Age.
  • Available services.
  • Topography.
  • Land classification (usage) and zoning etc.

Data is compiled on each property over time, through inspection, building and planning permits and other public sources.

The valuer builds a profile of value levels for each different area/property type by analysis of recent sales and leasing. This information is then applied to individual properties, taking into account the different characteristics of each property.

Supplementary Valuations

In certain circumstances, valuations must be performed between general valuations. These are known as supplementary valuations. They are required when properties are:

  • Physically changed – eg. when buildings are altered, erected or demolished.
  • Amalgamated, subdivided, portions sold off, rezoned or are affected by road construction.

Supplementary valuations are made when required, usually on a regular basis, such as quarterly or monthly.

Valuation Objection

If you disagree with the valuation of your property as shown on your rate notice, you may object.

Objections can be lodged electronically via a portal provided by the Victorian Valuer-General.

Alternatively, hard copy valuation objection forms can be requested by contacting Council’s Customer Service on (03)5559 4800/1300 003 280)

Reasons for objection include:

  • The value assigned is too high or too low.
  • The interests held by various persons in the land have not been correctly apportioned.
  • The apportionment of the valuation is not correct.
  • Lands which should be included in one valuation have been valued separately.
  • Lands which should be valued separately have been included in one valuation.
  • The person named in the notice of valuation assessment notice or other document is not liable to be so named.

You may object against your property's valuation if it appears on subsequent rate notices. Details regarding objection processes appear on the back of your rate notice.

Please keep in mind the Capital Improved Value (CIV) incudes site value, buildings and other improvement.

Note: Objection or appeal does not prevent the recovery of any rate or charge or the charging of interest.

Should you have any queries regarding Valuation Objections please do not hesitate to contact Customer Service on (03) 5559 4800/1300 003 280.

Rights of Appeal

Rates or charges

Under Section 184 of the Local Government Act 1989, a person who is aggrieved by a rate or charge has a right of appeal to the Country Court (within 60 days after first receiving written notice of the rate or charge).

Special rates and charges

A person may apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a review of a decision of a Council imposing a special rate or charge on that person. Any such appeal must be lodged within 30 days after the issue of the notice to the person of the special rate or special charge (section 185 of the Local Government Act 1989).

Details regarding the specific ground of appeal and further information can be obtained by contacting Council.

Pension Concession

The Local Government Act provides that eligible pensioners shall receive a reduction of rates levied. Application must be made via an Application for Concession on Municipal Rates and Charges form.

When applying for concession, the Pensioner Concession Card or a photocopy of the card must be presented with the application form. Eligible Pension Concession cards

If individual pension details have not changed, it is not necessary to re-apply for the concession each year.

Please note: a Health Care Card does not entitle the holder to a reduction on Council rates. A Low Income Health Care Card may entitle you to a Council rebate.

Change your details

Council must be advised in writing within one month of any changes to a ratepayer’s address or details of property ownership or occupancy. When ownership of a property changes, liability for payment of rates remains with the owner recorded with Council until a Notice of Disposition is received, either from the person who has sold the property or their representative.