Council is responsible for the implementation and enforcement of the following statutes:
- Domestic Animal Act: Provides for the registration and control of dogs and cats and make provision for Council to assist in these controls.
- Road Safety Act and Regulations: Provides for traffic control, parking restrictions and school crossing supervision.
- Country Fire Authority Act: Includes permits for open-air burning and the management of fire hazards.
Local Laws controlled activities includde:
- School crossing supervision.
- Responsible ownership of animals including off-lead and prohibited areas.
- Open air burning.
- Monitoring of overhanging trees and shrubs near footpaths.
- Footpath trading.
- General matters relating to the protection of Council controlled land, including footpaths.
Open air burning
Smoke and ash from open-air burning is becoming less acceptable due to health and amenity concerns and alternatives to burning are encouraged, such as mulching and re-use of wood. In general, open-air burning is discouraged particularly when there are potential impacts on neighbours.
A permit must be obtained from the Warrnambool City Council and on-the-spot fines are issued for failure to obtain a permit. Before a permit is issued, prior inspections are conducted and strict permit conditions will apply.
Incinerators are no longer permitted under Council's Local Laws. Alternative disposal methods are encouraged such as reuse and recycling.
All necessary steps must be taken to prevent fire and to minimise the possibility of the spread of fire. Land must be keep free of undergrowth, scrub, bracken, ferns, weeds, stubble, long grass and any other material which is likely to be a fire hazard.
Camping is not permitted unless within a camping area declared by the Council.
A permit must be obtained from Council.
Nature strips and footpaths
These public areas are under Council control and prior Local Laws approval is required for specific uses. Contact Council’s Local Laws officers for information regarding:
- Footpath trading (includes dining, A-frame signs and display of goods).
- Conduct fundraising by non-profit organisations.
- Controls on alcohol consumption.
- Use of skateboards, scooters and rollerblades.
- Display of vehicles for sale.
- Parking on naturestrips.
- Obstruction of footpaths by overhanging trees and other obstacles.
Warrnambool City Council
Phone: (03) 5559 4800
Fax: (03) 5559 4900