Infringement Review

Infringement Notice or Penalty Reminder Notice Internal Review

If you have received an Infringement Notice or Penalty Reminder Notice, you may be able to apply to have your fine reviewed. This type of review is called an Internal Review. You can request only one internal review for each infringement.

Click Here to apply for an Infringement - Internal Review

You can request an Internal Review under one of the following grounds:

Person unaware: you did not know about the fine

You can request a review under this ground if all of the following apply:

  • you found out about the fine within the last 14 days, and
  • the fine was not personally given to you by an officer
  • the fine was not for a traffic offence (see below) or tolling offence (Melbourne CityLink/Linkt or Eastlink).

If you moved house but you did not change your authorised address with the relevant agency (for example, VicRoads) within 14 days of moving, your application may not be successful.

Your application may not be successful unless you provide evidence showing you did not know about the fine. This could be a copy of your passport or boarding pass showing you were overseas, an invoice from a removalist showing that you moved house, a VicRoads address change confirmation or a report about mail theft.

You must submit your application within 14 days of the date you became aware of the fine.

If your application is successful, you will be granted a further 21 days to deal with your fine.

Contrary to law: the fine is invalid or was improperly issued to you

You can apply under this ground if you believe that the enforcement agency's decision to fine you was inconsistent with the law.

For example, the officer who issued the fine acted unlawfully, improperly or outside their authority or the fine does not comply with the legal requirements of an infringement notice.

Mistake of identity: the fine was issued to the wrong person

You can request a review under this ground if you have been incorrectly identified as the person who committed an offence, and you have evidence to support your claim. For example, someone provided your licence or gave your details to police, or you have the same name as another person or family member and the wrong person received the fine.

This review ground does not apply if someone else was driving your vehicle at the time of the offence, you are the registered owner of the vehicle and you received a camera-detected fine. If this applies to you or your company, do not use this review ground to request a review. You should instead nominate the driver. You need to do this quickly – for some fines, you need to nominate the driver within 28 days to avoid your licence being suspended.

Exceptional circumstances: the offence occurred due to an extraordinary or unavoidable situation

You should only select this ground if you can show that the offence occurred due to circumstances that were out of the ordinary, unavoidable or exceptional – such as a medical emergency or a vehicle breakdown.

Special circumstances: you have serious personal issues, conditions or difficulties

These circumstances are very specific. You should only select this ground if you committed the offence and can show that:

  • at the time of the offence you:
    • had a mental or intellectual disability, disorder, disease or illness
    • had a serious addiction to drugs, alcohol or a volatile substance
    • were homeless
    • were a victim of family violence, or
  • you cannot deal with your fines because of severe disabling long-term circumstances, even if those circumstances did not exist at the time of the offence.

You will need to provide evidence from a qualified practitioner or agency to support your application. For more information on what is required and how to apply, see: Special Circumstances

Following the commencement of the Road Safety (Drivers) Amendment Regulations 2023 on 27 March 2023 there are changes to the way demerit points are applied to your driver licence for eligible driving-related offences.

If your application for enforcement review on the ground of special circumstances is successful, any demerit points you received for an eligible driving-related offence will remain on your licence.

The Family Violence Scheme

If you have been impacted by family violence, the Family Violence Scheme is another option to help victim survivors deal with fines if there is a link between the family violence and their fines.

See: Family Violence Scheme for more information and assistance.

Internal review is not available for:

  • excessive speeding offences
  • drink-driving offences
  • drug-driving offences
  • drink or drug-boating offences
  • court issued fines

See: Excessive speed, drug and alcohol offences for more information on these offences.

See Court fines for more information on how to deal with court fines.

Was someone else driving your vehicle? If you have received a camera-detected fine, and someone else was driving your vehicle at that time, do not request a review. You should instead nominate the driver so we can re-issue the fine to them. You should nominate as soon as possible – for some fines, you need to nominate within 28 days to avoid licence cancellation.

Official warnings

Information about official warnings for fines issued by Victoria Police is available on the Victoria Police website.

What you need to provide

Evidence to support your claims should be provided with your application.

Examples of supporting evidence can include, but are not limited to:

  • medical reports
  • bank statements
  • hospital admissions documentation
  • police statements or reports (including mail theft reports made to Victoria Police or Australia Post)
  • images of the alleged offence (if relevant to your grounds) – for images of Victoria Police issued fines visit view your fine
  • travel documentation (for example, copies of flight itineraries, date-stamped passports, boarding passes, or international movement records)
  • removalist invoices
  • tow truck or mechanic's invoices
  • identification documents (for example, driver's licence, birth certificate)
  • Motor Vehicle Transfer documents or other proof of sale of a motor vehicle.

Please provide as much information and supporting documentation as you can, as this will help the enforcement agency make a decision. Under the legislation, you can only request one internal review for each infringement.