Infrastructure Permits

Road Reserve Works/ Crossover Permit

All works within the road reservation including the footpath and nature strip require a Road Reserve Works Permit. Works may include construction or alteration of driveways, nature strips, stormwater drainage connections and occupation of a footpath for works such as painting, signage or building maintenance.  Any works changing the usual operations of our roads, streets and footpaths within the City of Warrnambool, will require a Traffic Management Plan. (TMP)  See below for more information.

All events requiring a part or full road closure also require Road Reserve Works Permit. Examples include street parades, major festivals, cycling events and major running events.

Applications require a copy of the contractor's public liability insurance, which must provide a minimum cover of $20 million.  Please ensure you have a photo of your certificate of currency from your current insurer before commencing the application.  A certificate of currency can be obtained from your public liability insurer or insurance broker.

Permits can only be obtained by builders, public utility managers or road managers/ contractors*

*A road manager is the contractor/road manager who is the person or body responsible for conducting the works. Where the applicant is not the road manager, the road manager must be nominated.

Please allow five working days for the permit to be processed and approved - works onsite cannot commence until approval is given.

Click Here to Apply online

Traffic Management Plans

If traffic management is required then please submit a Road Reserve Works Permit application (above) and attach the Traffic Management Plan (TMP) along with a Worksite Hazard Assessment checklist.  TMPs are reviewed as part of the decision to provide approval for the works under this permit. Please note Warrnambool City Council will only accept plans from companies that are currently prequalified with Vicroads. 

The TMP must consider how the works will impact others in the area (workers, motorists, pedestrians and residents) and ensure the appropriate steps are taken to make sure the work is completed safely.

 Plans need to be prepared by a qualified person and be in accordance with:
•             The Road Management Act 2004 (traffic management code of practice);
•             Road Safety Act 1986;
•             Australian Standard AS 1742.3 2009: Traffic control devices for works on roads; and
•             VicRoads supplement to AS 1742.3.

The road manager is responsible for undertaking regular site audits during the works to ensure compliance with the TMP.

Asset Protection Permit

As of July 1, 2013, Asset Protection Permits are compulsory before any building works are undertaken on private land.

These permits ensure that any assets in road reserves are adequately protected and to ensure safety of the public both during and after construction. This permit process also protects both builders and home owners indemnifying them against any assets damaged before construction has commenced.

Pre construction inspection should be undertaken by owner or builder and submitted via the online portal Asset Protection Permit on WCC website. After construction has been completed, please call construction inspector to sign off on post construction asset protection inspection.

It is the responsibility of the Applicant to attach photographs of the worksites Kerbs / Stormwater , Nature Strips / Rain Gardens / Street Trees and Road Pavements with this application prior to works commencing. Any existing defects that have not been documented with this Application will be considered as the Applicant’s responsibility unless they prove otherwise. Please ensure you have these files ready at the time of applying.
A post inspection of the worksite must be arranged through Council once works are complete.  

We require a copy of the completed Asset Inspection Checklist and photos of assets to complete the application.  Please ensure you have these on your computer before you commence the application.

Click Here to download the Asset Inspection Checklist

Click Here to Apply online

Stormwater Discharge Point Application

The legal point of discharge is a location specified by Council where stormwater from a property must be discharged.

The legal point of discharge is usually to a council managed drain such as a pipe, pit, Kerb & channel or open drain. Council is regularly requested to give direction on the legal point of discharge for both existing properties and the redevelopment of residential, commercial and industrial developments.

The location of the legal point of discharge from an allotment must be obtained in relation to an application for a building permit. Council requires that a “Storm Water Discharge Point Application” be completed and the appropriate fees be paid.

An application for a storm water discharge point requires the Council to search for and approve an appropriate discharge point. This may involve a site inspection and verification of existing drainage on the site. Applications require 5 days for processing. The application is to include the site identification and a building layout plan.

All connection works are to be inspected by Council. Connection inspections can be arranged by contacting Council on (03) 5559 4800.

It is the responsibility of the customer to ensure that Council is given a minimum of 2 days notice for an inspection of the connection. A fee will apply for inspections requested at short notice (<2 days), and for repeat inspections.

The connection is not to be covered until approval is given.

The property owner is required to construct and maintain the property connection to the satisfaction of Council.

We require a copy of your building layout plan, land Title and subdivision plan to complete the application.  Please ensure you have these on your computer before you commence the application.

Standard Drawing 44 Property Connections.

Click Here to Apply online

Build over Easement Application

Building works within a Council easement require the consent of Council.

Council will often consent to the construction of sheds, garages, concrete paving, outdoor entertaining areas and the like over a Council easement after it has been given the opportunity to review construction plans for the proposed works.

Council will not consent to the construction of habitable dwellings over Council easements.

An application to obtain the consent of Council must be lodged. See the application form for advice on the associated documents required. When the application, associated documents and appropriate fee have been lodged, Council will assess the proposed building work for its potential to impact on existing or future public infrastructure within the easement. Council may request changes to the proposed plans in order to protect public infrastructure before it will give its consent.

Works within a Council easement should not commence until Council has given its consent. Council accepts no liability for costs for the removal or alteration of illegal building works over Council easements.

Click Here to Apply online