This is the date and time that this news article was published.
Warrnambool will soon have six-carriage trains operating on select Friday and weekend services.
“This is great news for Warrnambool and a common-sense solution to the discomfort of crowded trains, which often meant people were standing for hours,” Warrnambool Mayor Cr Ben Blain said.
“Council, along with local media and public transport users, had argued for trains with greater capacity for some time.
“The Victorian Government and V/Line have responded with a commitment to introduce trains that can carry more passengers, which is a really positive outcome.”
The current three-carriage trains carry about 220 passengers, the six-carriage trains double that.
“We had been told the sticking point was that our platforms were not long enough to accommodate longer trains.
“This explanation was difficult to accept because this issue had been overcome on other train lines so we knew it was possible on the Warrnambool line.
“If we were to wait for longer platforms at our stations, it would be years before we had trains big enough to meet the demand.
“V/Line is to be commended for this really sensible approach which will involve door banners, on-board announcements and monitoring by conductors to ensure passengers enter and exit the longer trains safely.”
“Testing of the new carriage configuration is already under way and we’ve been advised by V/Line the longer trains with greater passenger capacity will be operational later this year,” Cr Blain said.