Search form


New Houses/ Extensions

Building a new home or undertaking extensions or alterations to an existing home can be an exciting time, however the building process can have pitfalls for those who are uninformed. Under the Building Act 1993 the current owner of the land is responsible for any building works that are occurring or have occurred on their land. Some common topics are linked below. 

Building Contracts, Bushfire Prone Areas, Owner Builders, Replacing roofing on houses , Domestic Building Insurance, Energy Efficiency performance requirements for residential buildings , Occupancy Permits, Protection of adjoining property, Termites  , Time limits and Lapsed Building Permits , Building Legislation , Permits , Protection of Adjoining Property , Building in Victoria after Bushfires

See the Building and Renovating Checklist with helpful information for owners. 

Do I need a building permit?

Yes - Building work related to construction of, alterations or extensions to a home require a building permit. Some exemptions apply for minor work, maintenance and repairs.  If in doubt see the “Do I Need a Building Permit” information sheet to the right of this text or you can check with City Building on (03) 5559 4800 or at building [at] warrnambool [dot] vic [dot] gov [dot] au.

Does my builder need to be registered?

In Victoria, builders must be registered in order to be able to perform domestic building work with a value exceeding $10,000 (including labour and materials). This includes carrying out re-blocking, restumping or demolition work.

Engage with Warrnambool

Council Enterprises

Council runs and manages a number of Enterprises for the benefit of our residents and visitors.
Explore everything that Warrnambool has to offer below.

Experience Warrnambool

Festivals and Events

What's On in Warrnambool

Discover everything happening in Warrnambool