Local Laws

Council offers a variety of legislative-based services and functions which includes complaint investigation, parking management and enforcement, school crossing management, animal control, litter investigations and enforcement of Local Laws.

Council is responsible for the implementation and enforcement of the following statutes:

  • Domestic Animal Act: Provides for the registration and control of dogs and cats and make provision for Council to assist in these controls.
  • Road Safety Act and Regulations: Provides for traffic control, parking restrictions and school crossing supervision.
  • Country Fire Authority Act: Includes permits for open-air burning and the management of fire hazards.

Local Laws controlled activities include:

  • School crossing supervision.
  • Responsible ownership of animals including off-lead and prohibited areas.
  • Open air burning.
  • Monitoring of overhanging trees and shrubs near footpaths.
  • Footpath trading.
  • General matters relating to the protection of Council controlled land, including footpaths.

Local Law No.2 City Amenity

Short Stay Accommodation

Property owners who make their properties available for short stay accommodation through platforms including, but not limited to, AirBnB, are required to pay a $400 fee as described in the Short Stay Accommodation Local Law.

The fee was introduced in February 2023 to address inequalities between existing, registered accommodation providers such as hotels and motels, which pay commercial rates, and non-registered accommodation, such as AirBnBs. The fee will go towards services, events, infrastructure and natural assets that support the local visitor economy.

Along with the fee Council adopted a Short Stay Accommodation Code of Conduct Local Law which governs the behaviour of guests at short stay accommodation. The code describes the responsibilities of hosts and guests when staying in short stay accommodation.

Short Stay Accommodation Local Law

Short Stay Accommodation Code of Conduct


Open air burning

Smoke and ash from open-air burning is becoming less acceptable due to health and amenity concerns and alternatives to burning are encouraged, such as mulching and re-use of wood. In general, open-air burning is discouraged particularly when there are potential impacts on neighbours.

A permit must be obtained from the Warrnambool City Council and on-the-spot fines are issued for failure to obtain a permit. Before a permit is issued, prior inspections are conducted and strict permit conditions will apply.


Incinerators are no longer permitted under Council's Local Laws. Alternative disposal methods are encouraged such as reuse and recycling.

Fire hazards

All necessary steps must be taken to prevent fire and to minimise the possibility of the spread of fire. Land must be keep free of undergrowth, scrub, bracken, ferns, weeds, stubble, long grass and any other material which is likely to be a fire hazard.


Camping is not permitted unless within a camping area declared by the Council.


permitmust be obtained from Council.

Nature strips and footpaths

These public areas are under Council control and prior Local Laws approval is required for specific uses. Contact Council’s Local Laws officers for information regarding:

  • Footpath trading (includes dining, A-frame signs and display of goods).
  • Conduct fundraising by non-profit organisations.
  • Controls on alcohol consumption.
  • Use of skateboards, scooters and rollerblades.
  • Display of vehicles for sale.
  • Parking on naturestrips.
  • Obstruction of footpaths by overhanging trees and other obstacles.

Alcohol Restrictions

Beach and foreshore areas – Alcohol consumption prohibited from the Promenade to the sea between the Flume and the Foreshore Pavilion carpark.

Lake Pertobe – Alcohol consumption prohibited between 2pm – 4pm and 10pm – 11am daily in all areas including the reserve on the south side of Pertobe Road.

Central Business District – No person may consume or have in their possession or under their control any liquor other than in a sealed container, on any road or on any municipal place within the CBD.