Search form


Food and Alcohol

Temporary and Mobile Food Premises

Food Act 1984 Requirements
If food and/or drinks are sold at your event, it is important that you are aware of your responsibilities as well as those of the food vendors.

The Victorian Food Act 1984 (Food Act) controls the sale of food in Victoria to protect people from food borne illness. All temporary and mobile premises selling food (including drinks) must be registered or notified under the Food Act through the online state-wide registration and notification website Streatrader. All Statements of Trade (SOT’s) are to be lodged with Warrnambool City Council at least 5 days prior to operating within the municipality.

It is the joint responsibility of the event organiser and the food/drink vendor to ensure that they are registered or notified with a Victorian Municipal through the Streatrader system.

As the event organiser you are responsible for the overall management of food vendors at the event including risk management, provision of services and amenities, and site placement.

The Environmental Health Officers from Warrnambool City Council are responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Food Act and may inspect your event to determine compliance.

Note: Vendors selling alcohol will need to apply for registration under the Food Act, in addition to their liquor licence.

Contacts and Resources:
Phone: Warrnambool City Council Environmental Health Unit on 03 5559 4800.
Web :
Email : wbool_city [at] warrnambool [dot] vic [dot] gov [dot] au

Liquor Licencing

If you intend to sell or serve alcohol at your event, a Liquor License will be required. Please go to the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation website where you will find a range of information about the service of alcohol. It is important to remember that service of liquor without a permit can result in large fines and possible conviction for individuals involved in the organisation of the event.

Contacts and Resources:
Phone: Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Registration 1300 182 457
Web:  Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Registration :
Forms    Depending on your requirement

Smoking at events

From April 1, 2014, new smoking laws apply to sports facilities and buildings owned and managed by Warrnambool City Council. Under these new laws smoking is banned at these buildings and sports facilities at all times. Smoking is also banned within 10 metres of all Council owned and managed playgrounds, the skate park and AquaZone.

When planning your event it is important to consider that smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in Warrnambool. About 23 per cent of men and 20 per cent of women living in Warrnambool currently smoke. This is higher than the Victorian average. De-normalising smoking and reducing the visibility of smokers for children and young people will help show that smoking is not behaviour to be encouraged.

Your event can greatly boost its chance of gaining funding through a range of organisations who now take into consideration such things when they are reviewing funding applications. Maps of the relevant facilities restricted areas are available directly from the website listed below and these should be viewed and used as part of your site layout and event planning.

Contacts and Resources:
Phone: Warrnambool City Council Recreation Officer on 03 5559 4800
Web :
Email : recreation [at] warrnambool [dot] vic [dot] gov [dot] au

Gas bottles

An industry code has been developed to define the method and practice of safe storage of LPG used for catering purposes in marquees in Victoria. The requirements for gas cylinders in permanent structures, such as buildings, caravans and catering vehicles, are covered by the Australian Standard: The Storage and Handling of LP Gas (AS/NZS 1596:2008).

Contacts and Resources:
Phone: Victorian Work Cover Authority : 1800 136 089
Web: Victorian Work Cover Authority : www. and search for ‘Handling LPG Gas’
Email : info [at] vwa [dot] vic [dot] gov [dot] au

Water – drinking, food stalls and general access 

Your organising committee needs to give consideration to where your patrons will get water from. This may be as simple as having access to a public drinking fountain or a stall holder selling water, and also needs to take into consideration the health regulations for stall holders.
If your patrons do not have access to drinking water, you will need to consider this in your planning stage and implement something suitable.
It is legislation that food stalls will require access to running water. Most public areas in the Warrnambool City Council have access to this, however it may be not accessible for general use (eg fitted with a vandal proof tap). It is important when planning the layout of your site that you consider this and place stall holders who require running water in a suitable location.

All organisers should consider the risk and challenges associated with an event during a heat wave and on Code Red days. Further detail on this can be read in PART 8 of this guide.

Contacts and Resources:
Phone: Warrnambool City Council Events & Promotion Branch on 03 5559 4800
Email : events [at] warrnambool [dot] vic [dot] gov [dot] au


Engage with Warrnambool

Council Enterprises

Council runs and manages a number of Enterprises for the benefit of our residents and visitors.
Explore everything that Warrnambool has to offer below.

Experience Warrnambool

What's On in Warrnambool

Discover everything happening in Warrnambool