Search form

building under construction
Pavilion Construction
Rooftop under Construction


Warrnambool City Council’s  Building office provides a range of building related information to the community which includes regulatory building advice, audit and inspection services as well as being the responsible authority for statutory building matters in Warrnambool City Council such as report & consent, enforcement and essential safety measures. 
The Building Act 1993 (“the Act”) and Building Regulations 2018 (“the Regulations”) legislate that all building work is subject to the issuing of a building permit, unless an exemption applies under schedule 3 of the Regulations. This relates to some minor work, repairs and maintenance. If you are unsure we can help you determine whether a building permit is required for your project. 
Building activity in Victoria in governed by the above legislative framework for the regulation of building design, construction, maintenance and standards  in order to enhance the amenity, sustainability and safety of our built environment.  
It is important to note the difference between planning permits and building permits. Planning Permits deal with the use and development of land, whereas building permits deal with the approval of specific buildings and structures to be erected on the land. If you are unsure whether your project required a planning permit you can contact Town Planning on (03) 5559 4800, because if you need a planning permit this must be issued before a building permit can be issued. 

What is a building permit?

A building permit will specify who is undertaking the work, by when it must commence and be completed, it will note the mandatory inspection stages and record the relevant insurance and planning permit information applicable to the building work.  
The building Permit will come with approved building plans, specifications and other documents related to the building design and construction. 
It is also important to know that an occupancy permit or a certificate of final inspection is required on completion of the building work, once all mandatory inspections have been approved as part of the building permit process. If you are unsure please feel free to seek advice from City Building Services or your relevant building surveyor. 

How do I get a building permit?

You can make an application to any registered building surveyor.
There are two types of building surveyor:
  • Private building surveyors (private practitioners who often advertise in the Yellow Pages)
  • Municipal building surveyors (Councils)


What is a building surveyor and what do they do?

Building surveyors are authorised to assess building plans with a view to ensuring they comply with the Building Act 1993, the Building Regulations 2018 and the National Construction Code.
Building surveyors are responsible for ensuring buildings are safe, accessible and energy efficient, and therefore have an impact on the design, planning and functionality of buildings.
A building surveyor remains involved for the duration of the building project. They carry out inspections – or have a building inspector carry out inspections on their behalf – to sign off each mandatory notification stage of construction.
You can only appoint one building surveyor to a building project.
Once building work is complete, the building surveyor is responsible for issuing the occupancy permit or certificate of final inspection.
A registered building surveyor is authorised to:
  • Assess building permit applications for compliance with the Building Act 1993, Building Regulations 2018 and National Construction Code
  • Issue building and occupancy permits, and certificates of final inspection
  • Conduct building inspections at the mandatory notification stages
  • Serve Direction to Fix non-compliant building work
  • Serve building notices and orders under the Building Act 1993


Property information

Council can provide property information under Regulation 51. This includes information such as a 10 year building permit history for a parcel of land, whether a proposed building or land is in an area liable to flooding, termite infestation or bushfire prone. The "Property Information Request Regulation 51" Form is available above.
If you have misplaced or require a copy of plans, permits and/or documents for your property you can submit a “Request for Building File Retrieval” noting the specific document it is you’re requesting. This includes a search of Councils archives which can be timely; therefore please allow 28 days for us to locate plans, permit and/or documents. Please also note that we cannot guarantee this information is available and search fees apply on all occasions.  

Unsafe buildings

Any new construction and over time old structures can become unsafe if not managed or maintained correctly or without first being issued with the appropriate approvals. If you feel a construction is unsafe it may be a matter to be investigated by City Building. Please submit any complaints or information in writing to building [at] warrnambool [dot] vic [dot] gov [dot] au or addressed to the Municipal Building Surveyor, PO Box 198 WARRNAMBOOL VIC 3280. 
If you have concerns regarding Asbestos or unsafe demolition worksites please contact Work Safe and the Environment Protection Authority. 

Building contacts

Municipal Building Surveyor
Chris van der Starre
Hannah Newson
building [at] warrnambool [dot] vic [dot] gov [dot] au
5559 4800

Engage with Warrnambool

Council Enterprises

Council runs and manages a number of Enterprises for the benefit of our residents and visitors.
Explore everything that Warrnambool has to offer below.

Experience Warrnambool

What's On in Warrnambool

Discover everything happening in Warrnambool