The Councils of the Barwon South West and other government agencies are working together to establish a climate alliance for the region.
Across Victoria there are eight established regional Climate or Greenhouse Alliances that are formal partnerships of local governments and interested agencies that drive action on climate change.
In our region there is variable action on climate change and a lack of coordination across sectors and regional authorities. The initiative to establish a Climate Alliance in the Barwon South West aims to fill this missing piece.
The proposed Barwon South West Climate Alliance would be a formal partnership between local governments and other government agencies including:
- City of Greater Geelong
- Golden Plains Shire
- Surf Coast Shire
- Borough of Queenscliff
- Corangamite Shire
- Colac Otway Shire
- Warrnambool City Council
- Moyne Shire
- Glenelg Shire
- Southern Grampians Shire
- Water Authorities and Catchment Management Authorities
- Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Aims of the Barwon South West Climate Alliance:
- increase effective climate adaptation across the region and reduce the risks and impacts of climate change
- share knowledge and experience across councils, sectors and the region
- co-ordinate a range of mutually beneficial climate adaption and mitigation projects across the region
The establishment of a Climate Alliance for the Barwon South West region builds on the collaborative work already undertaken by councils and government agencies throughout the Climate Resilient Communities of the Barwon South West project. Further detail on this project and the outcomes can be found on the South West Climate Change Portal
For more information or discussion please contact:
Climate Alliance Establishment Officer
Phone (03) 5559 4800