Our City Development Team is responsible for assessing and enforcing planning permit applications in accordance with the Warrnambool Planning Scheme. The team also coordinates the issue of subdivision permits and the release of plans of subdivision.
Our City Strategy Team is responsible for the development and implementation of strategies, policies and frameworks in accordance with the future vision of the Council. The team also coordinates and prepares amendments to the Warrnambool Planning Scheme to implement Council’s directions and initiatives.
Need help with your planning application?
The Warrnambool Planning Scheme sets out where developments and uses require a planning permit.
There are a variety of instances where you may need a planning permit such as:
- The subdivision of land.
- The removal or lopping of native vegetation.
- Construction of outbuildings (sheds and garages).
- Construction and works relating to a dwelling on a lot less than 300m² in a residential area.
- The construction and use of a dwelling in many rural and rural residential areas.
- Development and use of a multi-unit development.
- Changing the use of the land - setting up a new business.
- Constructing, altering and sometimes painting a building located within a Heritage Overlay.
- Demolition of a building in a Heritage Overlay.
- Commencing or expanding a business without sufficient on site car parking.
- Constructing a tennis court or swimming pool.
- Applying for a new liquor licence or extending an existing licence.
If you have any queries about planning, or wish to talk to a planning officer before you lodge your application, a planner is available at the Warrnambool Civic Centre between 8:30am and 5.00pm weekdays. If you wish to see a specific planner, please phone ahead on (03) 5559 4800 to make an appointment.
For larger, more complex proposals, it is suggested you contact our City Strategy and Development Team to determine whether a pre-application meeting would be of assistance. Please ensure you bring along any plans or documents that may assist in the discussion.