Walking Your Dog
- Large Text
- Increase Font Size
- Decrease Font Size
- High Contrast
- Regular Contrast
Control of Dogs in Public Places:
A reminder that dogs are prohibited in the following areas:
- Beach (Flume to Breakwater) between 1 November and 30 April.
- Surfside & Shipwreck Bay holiday parks between 23 December and 2 February.
- Hopkins River frontage (Ski Club) between 1 November and 30 April.
Dogs must be on a leash in all public places unless declared as "off-leash" and pick up bags must be carried and used.
A full list of prohibited and off leash areas can be found below.
Walking your dog is a great way to explore Warrnambool but please be aware of the rules regarding dogs in public areas, particularly the foreshore, which is off limits to dogs during certain months of the year.
Proposed Amendment to Local Law No. 3 - 2009
Warrnambool City Council (Council) has received comments from the public that there is a desire for increased access to accessible beach areas to walk dogs. Following comments received and a review of other municipalities related Local Laws, it is proposed to amend Council’s Local Law 3.29 - 2009, specifically Schedule 3.1 and Schedule 3.2.
The Schedules relate to prohibited places and permitted off leash areas for dogs, and propose new restriction times for dogs on beaches. The proposed changes for dog restrictions include:
• Allowed on leash from the Flume to Breakwater between April 1st to November 30th.
• Prohibited from the Flume to Breakwater between December 1st & March 31st.
• Allowed off leash at the Blue Hole Reserve - Hopkins Bridge to River Mouth, east side only between April 1st to November 30th.
• Allowed on leash at the Blue Hole Reserve - Hopkins Bridge to River Mouth, east side only between December 1st & March 31st.
The steps to amend and then adopt a Local Law
Council resolved to amend the Local Law 3.29, Schedule 3.1 and Schedule 3.2 at the Council meeting on 21 October 2013.
Copies of the proposed Local Law can be obtained from the Warrnambool Civic Centre, 25 Liebig Street, Warrnambool during normal office hours 9.00am – 5.00pm. Any person affected by the proposed Local Law may make a written submission to the Council.
Council will consider submissions and any persons request to be heard at the Council Meeting at 5.45pm on Monday 3 February 2014 before the presentation of the amended Local Law for its proposed adoption.
How do I make a submission?
In accordance with Section 223 of the Local Government Act 1989, written submissions (including the request to be heard) may be made on the proposed amendment to the Local Law No 3 - 2009 up to 5.00pm on 6 December 2013 and should be addressed to:
Warrnambool City Council
PO Box 198
WARRNAMBOOL VIC 3280
Designated off-leash areas
Dogs must be kept under effective voice control and a lead carried and used when in the vacinity of another dog or within 30m of a childrens playground, barbecue facility, organised sporting events, picnic areas or public meetings.
Dogs must not be allowed to worry or threaten any person or animal.
You can walk your dog off a leash in the following areas:
- Albert Park (excluding sporting grounds).
- Beach area, Hopkins River (west side) to Flume).
- Blue Hole Reserve (from Hopkins River Bridge to mouth, east side only between 1 May and 31 October may be off leash).
- Merri River areas of public open space in the vicinity of Manuka Drive, Membrey Way and Ponting Drive.
- Bushfield Oval Reserve.
- Harris Street Reserve.
- Jubilee Park, Woodford.
- Logans Beach.
- Allansford Reserve.
- Davidson Oval Reserve.
- Kings Park.
- Malwarrah Reserve, Woodford.
- Russells Creek Reserve (Mortlake Road to Garden Street).
- Schrader Park, Allansford.
- Tozer Road easement (to Wanstead Street).
Designated on-leash areas
You can walk your dog on a leash in the following areas:
- All public areas (residential streets, CBD etc).
- Blue Hole Reserve (Hopkins River Bridge to Mouth, east side 1 November to 30 April each year).
- Foreshore walking tracks, including Foreshore Promenade.
- Main beach area (Flume to Breakwater 1 May to 31 October each year).
The following areas are prohibited for dogs:
- Lake Pertobe Reserve.
- Botanic Gardens.
- Jetty Flat Athletics Centre.
- Sports ovals.
- Main beach area (Flume to Breakwater) between 1 November and 30 April each year.
- Merri River Mouth (south of Stanley Street Bridge including Middle Island).
- Merri River Wetlands (Viaduct Road to MacDonald Street).
- Ski Club beach frontage (1 November to 30 April each year).