Walking Your Dog
- Large Text
- Increase Font Size
- Decrease Font Size
- High Contrast
- Regular Contrast
Control of Dogs in Public Places:
A reminder that dogs are prohibited in the following areas:
- Beach (Flume to Breakwater) between 1 November and 30 April.
- Surfside & Shipwreck Bay holiday parks between 23 December and 2 February.
- Hopkins River frontage (Ski Club) between 1 November and 30 April.
Dogs must be on a leash in all public places unless declared as "off-leash" and pick up bags must be carried and used.
A full list of prohibited and off leash areas can be found below.
Walking your dog is a great way to explore Warrnambool but please be aware of the rules regarding dogs in public areas, particularly the foreshore, which is off limits to dogs during certain months of the year.
Designated off-leash areas
Dogs must be kept under effective voice control and a lead carried and used when in the vacinity of another dog or within 30m of a childrens playground, barbecue facility, organised sporting events, picnic areas or public meetings.
Dogs must not be allowed to worry or threaten any person or animal.
You can walk your dog off a leash in the following areas:
- Albert Park (excluding sporting grounds).
- Beach area, Hopkins River (west side) to Flume).
- Blue Hole Reserve (from Hopkins River Bridge to mouth, east side only between 1 May and 31 October may be off leash).
- Merri River areas of public open space in the vicinity of Manuka Drive, Membrey Way and Ponting Drive.
- Bushfield Oval Reserve.
- Harris Street Reserve.
- Jubilee Park, Woodford.
- Logans Beach.
- Allansford Reserve.
- Davidson Oval Reserve.
- Kings Park.
- Malwarrah Reserve, Woodford.
- Russells Creek Reserve (Mortlake Road to Garden Street).
- Schrader Park, Allansford.
- Tozer Road easement (to Wanstead Street).
Designated on-leash areas
You can walk your dog on a leash in the following areas:
- All public areas (residential streets, CBD etc).
- Blue Hole Reserve (Hopkins River Bridge to Mouth, east side 1 November to 30 April each year).
- Foreshore walking tracks, including Foreshore Promenade.
- Main beach area (Flume to Breakwater 1 May to 31 October each year).
The following areas are prohibited for dogs:
- Lake Pertobe Reserve.
- Botanic Gardens.
- Jetty Flat Athletics Centre.
- Sports ovals.
- Main beach area (Flume to Breakwater) between 1 November and 30 April each year.
- Merri River Mouth (south of Stanley Street Bridge including Middle Island).
- Merri River Wetlands (Viaduct Road to MacDonald Street).
- Ski Club beach frontage (1 November to 30 April each year).