On for young and old
- Large Text
- Increase Font Size
- Decrease Font Size
- High Contrast
- Regular Contrast
MEDIA RELEASE: October 2, 2012
Gen-Y will play a major role in the 2012 Celebrage seniors festival.
Students from Emmanuel, Brauer and Warrnambool colleges will perform and participate in several events during the month-long program, while exchanging stories and ideas across generations.
Celebrage opens next week to coincide with National Seniors Week and features more than 20 events throughout October including the highly anticipated presentation of the Southwest Health Care Supplies Senior of the Year Award.
Festival co-ordinator Mary McLeod said the festival was an enriching celebration of the contributions and achievements of seniors in the community.
“The festival is now in its 5th year and it is growing and changing all the time,” she said.
“This year we not only have the official festival program but we have also partnered with more than a dozen other events and activities happening during October which we are encouraging seniors to take part in.
“The involvement of young people also provides that something extra, allowing senior residents to learn more about Gen Y and providing the students with a chance to ask questions and hear the stories of their elders.”
Celebrage will kick off on Tuesday with Warrnambool seniors travelling to Hamilton for a country music concert.
Other highlights will include a vintage car rally on Thursday October 4, the 2012 Senior of the Year Award presentation on Tuesday October 9 and a Seniors Community Bike Ride on Tuesday October 16.
For more information visit www.warrnambool.vic.gov.au or call the Archie Graham Community Centre on 5559 4429.
Celebrage Official Program
- Tuesday October 2 - Country Series Concert, Hamilton PAC
- Wednesday October 3 - Artist talk with Karen Richards, Warrnambool Art Gallery
- Thursday October 4 - Vintage Car Rally, Meet at Warrnambool Bowls Club
- Tuesday October 9 - 2012 Senior of the Year, Lighthouse Theatre
- October 8, 10, 12 - Movies @ Archie, Archie Graham Community Centre
- Monday October 15 - Grampians wildflower bus trip, Leave from Flagstaff Hill
- Tuesday October 16 - Seniors Club Morning Tea, Archie Graham Community Centre
- Tuesday October 16 - Seniors Community Bike Ride, Meet at Surfside
- Wed October 18 & Mon October 22, 140 Years of the Standard exhibition, WAG
- Friday October 19 - Seniors Lunch Endeavours Restaurant
- Monday October 29 - Walk for Wellness, Meet at Surf Club
Other community events
- Thursday October 4 - Ladies Day with Jason Hodges, Bunnings
- October 7-14 - Free public transport for seniors – Victorian Seniors Wee, Transit South West & V/Line
- Thursday October 11 – Mikado, Lighthouse Theatre
- October 12-14 - Three Days of Dancing, Allansford Hall & Temperance Hall
- Tuesday October 9 and Wednesday October 10 - Veterans Golf, Warrnambool Golf Club
- Wednesday October 10 - Get Amongst It, Civic Green
- Thursday October 11 - Hearing in the Home workshop, Archie Graham Community Centre
- Friday October 12 - Seniors Tennis, Warrnambool Indoor Tennis Centre
- October 17-December 9 - Eric Tonkin Exhibition, Warrnambool Art Gallery
- October 20-21 - Discover the Diversity, Portland Garden Club
- Monday October 22 - Sherwood Park Garden Walk, Deakin University
- Tuesday October 23 -Why do my hearings aids whistle? Workshop, Archie Graham Community Centre
- Saturday October 27 - Dirty Weekend, Warrnambool Community Garden