Search form

Warrnambool China Bureau | LIVE January 10Click here to find out more
Building under construction

Buying, Building or Selling

City Building Services Logo

City Building Services provide quality service for the interpretation and implementation of the Building Code of Australia, Building Act and Building Regulations. 
We provide services for the following:

  • New Houses
  • Demolitions
  • Extensions
  • Sheds
  • Verandahs
  • Pools
  • Essential Safety Measures
  • Change of Use
  • Disability Access Reports
  • Owner Builder Reports
  • Termites
  • Smoke Detectors
  • Fences

Building Permits

A building permit is usually required when constructing new buildings or undertaking alterations and additions to an existing building.  The document (available for download above) outlines some of the common types of building work which require a building permit.

Always check with our Council Building Department either by phone or email to determine if a building permit is require before you start any work.
5559 4800 or

Property Information

Council can provide information about whether a proposed building or land is in an area declared as liable to flooding, uncontrolled overland drainage, termite infestation or bushfire in accordance with Building Regulations.  This information can be obtained by completing a “Request for Building Information” and paying the associated fee. Further information in relation to purchasing land may be obtained from Consumer Affairs Victoria at

Planning Permits

It is important not to confuse planning permits with building permits.  Planning permits are legal documents giving permission for a land use or development, and may be required for all building work.  If a planning permit is required, it must be issued before the building permit can be issued.  A planning permit does not remove the need to obtain a building permit.  Building permits relate to the method of construction of a building or development and mainly deal with the safety and legal requirements under the building code.  Not all projects need a planning permit.  The best way to find out whether you need a planning permit and what is required is to contact Council’s Planning Support team on telephone 5559 4800.

Unsafe Buildings

Over time, old construction and new can become unsafe, or may have been construction without a building permit.  If you feel a construction is unsafe it may be a matter for our Council Building Department.  If you have concerns regarding Asbestos please contact Worksafe or EPA.

Engage with Warrnambool

Council Enterprises

Council runs and manages a number of Enterprises for the benefit of our residents and visitors.
Explore everything that Warrnambool has to offer below.

Experience Warrnambool

Festivals and Events

What's On in Warrnambool

Calendar of Events